Monday, March 15, 2010

Starting with the Starter Kit

Andrew and I were finally able to give ASL SK#1 a try yesterday. We played the first scenario (S1), with Andrew taking the Germans and me taking the Americans. We only had time to finish three turns, but Andrew was winning handily when we quit.

The first scenario only uses the infantry rules -- no machine guns or mortars. It reminded me a lot of the original Squad Leader that I owned and played a few times in the mid-1990s. We moved fairly slowly yesterday, since we needed to look up a rule every ten minutes or so, but I did have a great time. Andrew was enjoying it too, so I think that I made the correct choice when I ordered it.

One issue is certainly going to be storing the counters. There are so many types that my usual system of using zip-lock snack bags is probably not going to cut it. I researched the topic on BoardGameGeek, and the popular solution seems to be Model 3701 tackle boxes from Plano. I ordered one of these from Amazon this evening. It was less than $10, so it will give me a chance to see how it works. If it works well, I'll order a few more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment