Monday, February 22, 2010

Renaissance Gaming

Without realizing it, Patrick and I chose a Renaissance theme for our Monday afternoon gaming. First Patrick won two games of Renaissance Go Fish for Art. Then I won a game of chess using my Renaissance-style pieces.

Teresa gave us the Go Fish game a couple of years ago. Published by Birdcage Press, it's essentially a deck of 30 high-quality playing cards with photos of works by Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, Botticelli and Fra Angelico. The rules suggest playing either Go Fish or Memory with the deck. Birdcage Press also makes decks with Impressionists, Van Gogh (and friends) and modern artists. I'd recommend it as a fun way to learn the works, but it's still Go Fish and Memory. I'm the first person to report a play at BoardGameGeek.

I got the Renaissance chess set for Christmas when I was in grade school. I remember that when I was five or six, Dennis's friend Gary Holder would come over to Mom and Dad's house to play chess with Dennis. Gary had a Renaissance set, and I would "battle" with the eliminated pieces. So, I always wanted a Renaissance set, and it was on my Christmas list for several years before I got one. I really do not enjoy chess, but everyone has to own a set, and this set has a lot of sentimental value to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment