Saturday, February 20, 2010

Two Killer Bunnies Quests

We played Killer Bunnies REMIX at Mom's last night and again this afternoon. Both games were a lot of fun. We're starting to get the hang of it, using the starter deck, but I don't think we're ready to use the full deck yet.

Teresa won last night's game. I spent most of the game without a bunny in the circle. Yet only one of my bunnies was killed by an attack -- the other three bunnies were killed by Terrible Misfortune cards. So, when the game ended, I lost my one carrot to Teresa, giving her a total of two. Mom and Andrew had three apiece, while Patrick had two. The magic carrot ended up being Tucker the Pirate Carrot -- held by Teresa (giving her the victory). It took everyone awhile to figure out the rules, and get comfortable with the idea of attacking each other without feeling guilty. Well, to be honest, it didn't take the boys long to enjoy attacking each other, but Mom and Teresa felt guilty for most of the game.

Andrew, Patrick and I played another game this afternoon. While Andrew had the most bunnies for most of the game, he wasn't able to get many carrots -- and one of them was stolen by Patrick. At the end of the game, Patrick had six carrots, I had three, and Andrew had only one. Patrick had the magic carrot -- Butch, the construction-worker carrot -- and won the game.

It's a hard game to explain to someone. Killing bunnies isn't a theme that attracts most people. Mom described the game to Non, who said it "sounded awful." But it is fun if you can get past the silliness. I'm also sympathetic to those who complain that the game is too driven by luck. In Friday night's game there was literally nothing that I could do, since I didn't draw a bunny after the first ten minutes. Also, while I like the mechanic that allows anyone with one bunny and one carrot at the end of the game to have a shot at winning, it may be overly frustrating for some folks to lose despite having a majority of the carrots. In short, while I enjoy Killer Bunnies, it probably is a game that should be tried first before buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment